Mr. Topsy-Turvy does everything the wrong way around. One day he comes to the town where the reader lives. He rents a room in a hotel, speaking to the hotel manager the wrong way around, "Afternoon good, I'd room a like." The next day, he confuses the taxi driver with his backwards speaking, causing an accident, buying a pair of socks and putting them on his hands, then he disappears, but everything is still topsy-turvy. Everybody still speaks topsy-turvy, and the reader is asked to say something topsy-turvy.
Mr. Topsy-Turvy originated from a competition run by Roger Hargreaves to find a new Mr Men character and was an idea by Marc Penfold who created Mr Upside Down and a story in which the character lived in a backwards world. The idea did not win the competition but Roger Hargreaves liked the idea so much he wrote to Marc Penfold saying he would use the idea and thus Mr. Topsy-Turvy was born.
International publications & translationsEdit
Mr. Topsy-Turvy appears under the titles Monsieur A L'Envers (French), Don Alreves (Spanish), Unser Herr Kuddelmuddel (German), 顛倒先生 (Taiwan), 거꿀씨 (Korean), Mr. Popeth o chwith (Welsh), Meneer Opsekop/Meneertje Andersom (Dutch), Ο Κύριος Ανάποδος (Greek), Fætter Omvendt (Danish), おべこべくん (Japanese).
- Mr. Topsy-Turvy gets words out of order.
- In the Japanese version of I Love Mr.Men, Mr.Topsy-Turvy was orange-reddish instead of orange and his bowler hat was gold instead of yellow.
- In the 1975 cartoon, his hat is brown.
- In his story,he went down the up escolater,which is exactly what Mr. Stubborn did in his plot in Mall.
- His Spongebob Squarepants counterpart is the titular character because they both used to get words out of order.
- His Mr. Bean counterpart is the titular character because they both are topsy-turvy.
- His Looney Tunes counterpart is Foghorn Leghorn because they both tend to get attention.
- His Top Cat counterpart is the titular character because they both wear hats, carry canes, and are jolly.
- His Stitch! counterpart is Topsy-Turvy both because they both have the same name and makes things topsy-turvy.
- His Alphabet Castle counterpart is Gobbledygook the Talking Turkey because they get their words mixed up.
- His Star Wars counterpart is Yoda because they both get words out of order.
- His Thomas and Friends counterpart is Toad because they both go backwards
- His Final Fight counterpart is Sodom because they speak Topsy-Turvy.
List of charactersEdit
This is a list of Mr. Men, Little Miss and other special characters that appear in this book.
- Hotel Manager
- Taxi Driver
- Store Clerk
- Mr. Bump(Picture on the building wall)
Title character other appearancesEdit
This is a list of other books that the title character has appeared in.
- Mr. Clever
- Little Miss Giggles
- Little Miss Late
- Mr. Brave Goes Ghost Hunting (cameo)
- Little Miss Scatterbrain Puts Everything in Turmoil
- Mr. Funny Puts on a Show
- Little Miss Helpful Goes To The Fair
- Little Miss Late Beats Them All
- Little Miss Bossy Has a Busy Day (cameo)
- Mr. Nonsense's Strange Illness (cameo)
- Mr. Men
- Mr. Tickle Mr. Greedy Mr. Happy Mr. Nosey Mr. Sneeze Mr. Bump Mr. Snow Mr. Messy Mr. Topsy-Turvy Mr. Silly
- Mr. Uppity Mr. Small Mr. Daydream Mr. Forgetful Mr. Jelly Mr. Noisy Mr. Lazy Mr. Funny Mr. Mean Mr. Chatterbox
- Mr. Fussy Mr. Bounce Mr. Muddle Mr. Dizzy Mr. Impossible Mr. Strong Mr. Grumpy Mr. Clumsy Mr. Quiet Mr. Rush
- Mr. Tall Mr. Worry Mr. Nonsense Mr. Wrong Mr. Skinny Mr. Mischief Mr. Clever Mr. Busy Mr. Slow Mr. Brave
- Mr. Grumble Mr. Perfect Mr. Cheerful Mr. Cool Mr. Rude Mr. Good Mr. Nobody
- Little Miss
- Little Miss Bossy Little Miss Naughty Little Miss Neat Little Miss Sunshine Little Miss Tiny Little Miss Trouble Little Miss Helpful Little Miss Magic Little Miss Shy Little Miss Splendid
- Little Miss Late Little Miss Scatterbrain Little Miss Greedy Little Miss Giggles Little Miss Twins Little Miss Chatterbox Little Miss Dotty Little Miss Lucky Little Miss Star Little Miss Fickle
- Little Miss Contrary Little Miss Busy Little Miss Quick Little Miss Wise Little Miss Tidy Little Miss Brainy Little Miss Stubborn Little Miss Curious Little Miss Fun Little Miss Somersault
- Little Miss Scary Little Miss Bad Little Miss Whoops Little Miss Princess
- Special Mr. Men
- Mr. Cheeky Mr. Christmas Mr. Birthday Little Miss Jealous Little Miss Christmas Little Miss Birthday Little Miss Stella Mr. Stupid
- Non-English Mr Men
- Mr. Crosspatch Mr. No Little Miss All-Goes-Well Little Miss Brilliant Little Miss Busy-Body Little Miss Careful Little Miss Loud Little Miss Prim Little Miss Selfish Little Miss Vain Little Miss Yes
- Misc. Mr Men
- Little Miss Calamity Little Miss Daredevil Mr. Scatterbrain Mr. Stubborn Other Mr. Men Caveman Mummy Grandfather Clock Mr. Magic Mr. Roundy Mr. Squary Mr. Beefeater Mr. Funny (Beafeater) Mr. Metal Mr. Fussy's unnamed releative Mr. Spendy
- Appeared in other Stories
- Mr. Miserable Mr. Right Mr. Thrifty Little Miss Thrifty Mr. Penny Mr. Prudence Wilfred the Wizard Mr. All-Goes-Wrong Little Miss Nobody